Wednesday, February 25, 2009
Ladies and Gentlemen, We Have a Heartbeat!!
We heard the heartbeat. Kyle's mom came to town for the "occasion" and we all filled up the exam room with "oohs" and "ahhs" and "Did you hear that!?"s. (Ok, that part was mostly me!)
We recorded the audio, and I'd love to find a way to post it (I have an mp3), but I just don't have time today to figure out how to do that. So if someone has a recommendation of a way I can upload the audio to put on here, I'm open for suggestions.
So it took a few minutes for my midwife to find the heartbeat. She warned me that it might, but I was still just a little anxious. And then suddenly, there it was. And I reacted by moving around so that we lost the audio briefly. But no worries. She found it pretty easily and then for a few short seconds, the sound of the heartbeat -- our baby's heartbeat -- filled the room. And we all giggled.
So now we wait. Next appointment, to check the heartbeat and measure some other stuff, Tuesday, March 24. AND THEN we get to schedule the "Find out the sex of the baby" appointment for two weeks after that.
Monday, February 23, 2009
Thursday, February 19, 2009
Quotable Polks 2
"Yeh, sometimes when I come to bed at night, I lean over and talk to him*."
"Really? What do you tell him*?"
"I say, 'Hey, baby! You hear that loud snoring? That's not me. Just thought you should know.'"
*No, we do not know the sex of the baby yet and have no inclinations one way or the other, but "him" just sounds better than "it"!
Monday, February 16, 2009
In honor of Kyle Polk, near Valentine's 2009
1. He's sitting in front of the TV, what is on the screen? a DVD of some sort. If it's the middle of the day or early evening, it's probably Arrested Development or Flight of the Conchords. If it's later in the evening, a movie.
2. You're out to eat; what kind of dressing does he get on his salad? Haha. Kyle eating a salad. RIGHT! But he does like ranch and/or honey mustard for his chicken strips! :) And blue cheese dressing on chicken wings.
3. What's one food he doesn't like? Bell Peppers. I know this because he really tried to eat a stuffed pepper I made for dinner on Friday night. (Quote of the night: "It's so ... robust. No wait, it's really bland. I don't know. I can't decide!")
4. You go out to eat and have a drink. What does he order? Dark beer. The darker, the better.
5. Where did he go to high school? Wade Hampton ... the one that's actually in Hampton.
6. What size shoe does he wear? 12 or 13
8. What is his favorite type of sandwich? He likes for pepperoni to be included. And spicy mustard.
9. What would this person eat every day if he could? Chicken fingers!!
10. What is his favorite cereal? Honey Nut Cheerios
11. What would he never wear? Short shorts. Seriously. I doubt you'll ever see the man's knee. And CERTAINLY not anything above his knee.
12. What is his favorite sports team? Sports? Hahaha. Put that one up there near "salad" and "bell peppers" on his list of favorites.
13. Who did he vote for? He found out too late in the game that he couldn't vote. LAME!! (He would've voted for Obama, though.)
14. Who is his best friend? Andrew Brown, Chris Brown, Clay Jernigan ...
15. What is something you do that he wishes you wouldn't do? be lazy. (?)
16. What is his heritage? POLK. Around here, people say, "Hampton Polks or Islandton Polks?" and that's all you need to know. (The answer is a little bit of both, but we won't get into specifics.)
17. You bake him a cake for his birthday; what kind of cake? He doesn't really eat cake. He likes my mom's Milky Way cake sometimes. He really likes ice cream, though! Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough and Coffee flavors are his favorite.
18. Did he play sports in high school? Nope. But he was in marching band!!
19. What could he spend hours doing? Playing drums. Tuning drums. Watching videos about tuning or playing drums. Painting.
20. What is a unique talent he has? He is very good at putting up with me. It takes incredible amounts of patience! And I'm not kidding.
Wednesday, February 11, 2009
(Aside: The first time Kyle saw a pair of maternity pants [not on me, just on a hanger] his first reaction was, "Those pants are NOT HOT." Hahahahaha! So true!!!)
Yesterday after work, my mom and I were leaving the office. She said, as we were walking out the door, "Rita, I'm really surprised at how much you're showing! Are you sure you're just at 11 weeks? Are you sure there's just one in there?" Both rhetorical questions, I assumed and just shrugged. According to the ultrasound, both pieces of information are correct.
Then we stopped by the grocery store on the way home. At the check-out counter, the manager of the store came up and spoke to my mom and me. (We shop there a lot. And the manager is very friendly.) When she was greeting my mom, I overheard her say quietly and excitedly, "Look at her!" (pointing to the belly) "She's having a baby, isn't she?" My mom grinned and nodded emphatically.
Yes, I'm in maternity pants, but not necessarily maternity shirts. I was just wearing a regular shirt -- a little snug, I guess, but nothing indecent. I was, after all, just leaving work.
I wasn't put-off by her noticing at all. At least she assumed it was a baby and not just me putting on weight! :-D But I am quite surprised that people are able to tell by looking already! Isn't it kinda early for that?
To my loyal readers: I don't mean for this to become a Pregnancy Blog. Sorry if I'm boring you, but it's kind of a big deal. You'll think so too when you see how awesome this kid's gonna be! :-D
Monday, February 9, 2009
A very brief musical post that shall describe my feelings on the weekend.
Is it safe to say that, at least for Charleston at least for the past weekend and the coming week, the groundhog just didn't look close enough? Because the past few days have been GLORIOUS!!!!! I spent as much time outside as possible on Saturday. And I wore flip flops yesterday! :) SPRING!!!!!!!!
Also making the weekend much more enjoyable was the fact that I FEEL SOOOOOOOOOO MUCH BETTER!!!!!! The past four days have been immeasurably better than the month's worth of days that preceded them. I do a little jig in my office chair just thinking about it. :-D Sweet relief! Stay with me now, ok!?
Monday, February 2, 2009
Dooce = Genius
I am well aware that things only get more uncomfortable from here, no need to give me a warning that begins with the detestable phrase, "Just wait..." I can guarantee that every time you use that phrase in conversation with a pregnant woman you are earning cosmic points that when added up one day will result in a piano falling on your head.
from The Halfway Point
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]