Wednesday, April 4, 2007

 

I Really Do Like Kids ...

A few days ago, I was riding around with a friend of mine when she said to me, "[Husband] and I are trying."

This was out of the blue, but when you're married and you're accustomed to being asked questions of this nature, you know what this seemingly fragmented sentence really means.

And my reaction was not what she was looking for at all. It wasn't a, "Oh congratulations!" or even a "Good luck" or any number of suggestive comments I could've made.

No. Instead, I made a face that looked something like this:

I'm 100% sure that wasn't the reaction she was going for. I spent the next few minutes apologizing. Explaining how I didn't mean for that to be my first reaction, and how I was as surprised by it as she was. She was gracious enough to just change the subject.

I felt like a heel.

Labels: , ,


Comments:
HA! I love it. I feel for you, because that's totally something I would have done.
 
I do the SAME thing. I feel so rude....even when I don't make "that" face (which is how I feel inside)....but if I smile and carry on about how happy I am for them, which I am...but then I feel like I'm being fake.
 
LOL!

The other day I got seriously badgered by one of my husband's relatives. "When are you going to have kids? Are you trying? Are you going to wait a while? Don't you want kids?"

I just wanted to scream. In my case it's not that I don't want kids, but that I desperately want them but we can't work them into our lives yet, so we're making ourselves wait... so it's kind of doubly painful. Not as bad as being in a situation where you're unsuccessfully trying, I'm sure, but still - so aggravating.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]