Wednesday, September 3, 2008

 

Number 4.

September 3, 2004

Dear Kyle,

We were married four years ago today. Which means that four years ago at the time I'm typing this (6:50 am), I was probably laying awake in bed, squished between several of my girlfriends who'd made it to town early, with a strange mix of excitement and anxiety twisting my stomach into knots.

I knew I wanted to marry you. I knew I was doing the right thing. And it was our decision. But that bittersweet anxiety mixed with sadness and a large dose of excitement ... I think every bride can identify with that. Questioning whether all the preparations are made. Whether everybody's going to remember what they're supposed to do. Whether I've done everything I'm supposed to do. And throw in a little hurricane chaos ... just for good measure.

But still, at seven o'clock that evening, dressed to the nines (even with bare feet) I stepped out in confidence, knowing that I had been chosen by you. That we were choosing each other over every other potential mate the world had to offer, over the naysayers, over our families, and over anything else that might threaten to pull us apart. This, we determined, is the path we would travel, and we would do so together.

And, in a similar fashion, every day as I walk out of the house (never dressed as nicely but often still with bare feet), I meet the world as Mrs. Kyle Polk. Chosen. Loved. And bound to annoy the same man for the rest of our lives. Lucky you.

Let's have another 4, and then 14 and then 40. Shall we?

Labels: ,


Comments:
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
Why did you delete your comment?! We like you too, Clay!
 
Rita, that was beautiful.
 
=]
 
Sorry...I sent the message and realized that I had several typos and deleted the message. I got sidetracked when I started to retype. Anywho...I love you guys and it is an honor and pleasure to watch the two of you. Hope you guys have a great week. Congrats on 4 years.
 
GOD BLESS THE POLKS... congrads... and i must say... i feel even older now (4 years already) GEEZ...
 
Rita, I love reading your blog...especially when it's about your marriage. It's so nice to hear a woman speak highly of her husband (you did marry him, after all) instead of berating for every flaw. It gives me hope for the state of families and couples in our culture...Oh, and thank you for the comment on my blog. It's too late to miss the things that will cause pain. I realize my hands are tied in this situation and that my ability to help is VERY LIMITED. Actually, the only hope I have in this situation is that God would have mercy on him. Thanks for your thoughts! Kari
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]