Tuesday, April 15, 2008

 

loves like a hurricane

For the first time ever, I heard this song at the beginning of the month. And, while I've scoured youtube for a version worthy of embedding, the version that everyone needs to hear is the one that's on this website: Ragamuffin Soul. As soon as I heard it, I emailed it to Tarah in an email titled "A Girl Song that Doesn't Suck". (Tarah is of the opinion that any song she sings sounds dated. While this is not always the case, I promised her I'd keep my eyes open for Girl Songs that Do Not Suck.) (Just didn't want you to think I was the one who put that idea in her head.)

Anyway. None of that is the point. The point is this:

I sometimes have issues with songs that use really wordy passages from the Bible to convey simple ideas. Lyrics about "rising up on wings like eagles" or other such lyrics, the meaning could be elusive to those who have never read this passage in Isaiah. And, let's face it ... they still aren't always that clear even to those of us who have read it! It's just a phrase that we've come to expect in songs you sing at church.

This song is different. I appreciate it from a poetic, literary standpoint. But mostly because it says what it means in phrases that make sense to anyone who hears it.

Add this to the text that we covered this week at church and in small groups -- and often the difficulty I have in realizing that God really does love me ... just me ... as I am. This song just nailed it right on the head for me.
He is jealous for me.
Loves like a hurricane and I am a tree
Bending beneath the weight of His wind and mercy.

When all of a sudden I am unaware
Of these afflictions eclipsed by glory.
And I realize just how beautiful You are
And how great Your affections are for me.

And oh, how He loves us so
Oh how He loves us
How He loves us so

We are His portion and He is our prize,
Drawn to redemption by the grace in his eyes.
If grace is an ocean we're all sinking.

So heaven meets earth like a sloppy wet kiss
And my heart beats violently inside of my chest.
I don't have time to maintain these regrets
When i think about the way

He loves us

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]